Dr Phil, Dr Clueless, and Dr Any Day Now

Have you ever been to a restaurant with lousy service? Even though the
food is good, you won't go back because you refuse to be treated poorly.
Have you ever stopped frequenting a retail establishment because you
became tired of lousy service by a workforce that has no work ethic and
perhaps give off those signals that they're doing you a favor? Think
about an establishment that no longer has your business because the way
they do business is just plain terrible.

Let me ask you this....Did your doctor's office come to mind? Probably
not. Why is it that if a restaurant or a retail establishment gives us
poor service we walk away, inform management, or fill out customer
comment cards? When our doctor's office gives us poor service we go
back for more; over and over again?

Over the last couple of months I have listened to several people
verbalize some negative things about their doctor and the inefficiencies
at the office. They all have the same doctor. I've heard comments like
you can't get an appointment, they pawn you off on a physician's
assistant or a different doctor, or the staff is just rude and will let
you sit and wait and wait and wait and not tell you what is going on.
Now the first thing that comes to my mind is 'why the heck do you keep
going back for more'. New physicians are graduating medical school every
year; new physicians who are perhaps more current with technology and
protocols.

Oh coincidentally, the doctor receiving the complaints is mine as well.

So I asked all three of these people what they have done about changing
the situation. Have they said anything? Have they talked to the doctor
about what they are experiencing? Don't they think it is important that
the physician know what is going on? Or were they just going to whine
about the waiting, the shuffling, and the poor service, only to be
frustrated again next time they pick up the phone or enter the office? I
shared my thoughts on how things will not change unless someone says or
does something. The response from all three was along the lines of it
won't matter; nothing will change, why bother, and I don't go to the
doctor that often. Which is amazing; most businesses really do want to
hear from their customers. Many actually implement changes when they
hear from customers. A doctor's office is a business, isn't it? Sorry to ruin your day if you thought otherwise.

Well last week was my turn. I needed to see the doctor. He was not
available. I was referred to his associate who had lots of openings. Of
course she did, she's clueless. When I needed shots for my trip to
Africa last year I accepted an appointment with her. I figured it
wouldn't matter; it was just shots. When I arrived she wanted me to tell
her what shots I needed; what protocols I needed. I informed her that
she was the doc and that the office staff knew why they were scheduling
me. She said she would have to research it and she would get back to me.
Hooray! I got to pay a $25 co-pay for someone to tell me they will do
research. I digress.

So when the receptionist offered me an appointment with Dr. Clueless, I
declined. I was given an appointment with Dr.
I-Could-Care-Less-How-Long-You-Wait-For-Me. I arrived and waited forty
minutes watching everyone else being called through the Doorway to
Better Health. I finally asked if I was forgotten. I was informed that
he was running late and that it would be another hour. I informed them
that it would not be another hour and perhaps I should bill them for
wasting my time. Dead, uncomfortable silence. Hey, like I said, you
gotta have a little fun. They offered me Dr. Clueless. I chuckled and
told them my two ten month old puppies could do a better job diagnosing
my problem. They told me they would note my file that I am not to ever
see her. Those words came out of the receptionist's mouth so fast, as if
this was not the first time this has happened. I walked out. That
evening I also faxed them an invoice for an immediate refund of my
co-pay; with a "threat" of a collection agency. Just having my sadistic
fun.

Let me tell you why I originally selected this doctor. I do not do
medication - it is the last alternative. It is that simple. This doctor
doesn't just prescribe medication. It was a match made in heaven. As a
matter of fact several years back he sent me for Reiki when I was having
a little period of anxiety. He was young when I found him. His practice
was new. I am relatively healthy. I do not need to see him regularly; I
was even told that is why I couldn't be slotted in on an emergency basis
last week; because I have not seen him in over a year. Boy, it sucks to
be healthy

Now when I walked out I started thinking about those three other
patients. I made a decision right then and there. I was going to let the
doctor know that I walked out of his office and most likely for the last
time. I thought about the feedback I receive at the end of most
presentations or workshops that I give. That feedback makes be better.
(It also makes me feel good too!) I decided the doctor needed a
confidential evaluation of his office. I thought about the number of
times an audience member or a reader of my newsletter challenged
something I said or did. It got me thinking. Perhaps it gets me to
change something. But most importantly, I usually know I struck a nerve
- which is what I enjoy doing. When I strike a nerve I know I am getting
people to think, stand up for themselves, or begin to make some great
change in their life. I decided it was time to strike a nerve with the
doc and this was on behalf of all people here in the United States who
have experienced "managed care!"

So I wrote Dr. Phil a letter, yes his first name is Phil. I reminded him
why I originally came to him. I also shared my frustration with his
office. I let him know that people in the community are not saying nice
things about him. I told him I understand that might feel that he is at
the mercy of the insurance agencies, HMO's, and malpractice issues. I
told him I understand his predicament. I also reminded him of the people
who were there when he started his practice. I apologized for not being
sick enough to visit him on a regular basis and told him I would
probably not see him again; but am available to talk to him about my
letter if he so chooses.

Will my letter make a difference? I don't know. I have nothing to lose.
I can't get in to see him anyway, even if I make an appointment. But
maybe, just maybe he might stop for a moment and do some thinking.
Maybe, just maybe, I am the first to let him know what is going on; and
why he is losing a patient. Maybe he has been losing many patients and
not knowing it? Maybe he wants to know? Somebody has to be first.

But here is your take-away...There are businesses that you choose
for reasons that are important to you. Likewise, people are choosing you
and your business for particular reasons as well. Do you know what they
are? Is it worth revisiting your core values and beliefs every so often,
as an employee, employer, business owner or staff member? Have you ever
played customer for one day at your business? Where do you need to speak
up? Don't think it will make a difference? Will it make a difference to
you?

Remember to have some fun today!

0 comments:

Post a Comment